Castelporziano Presidential Estate
The Castle and the Village
After the breakdown of the territorial organization following the fall of the Roman Empire and the turbulent historical developments in the post-Classical era and in the Early Middle Ages, the areas surrounding Rome mainly fell in the hands of the Church. The Laurentino area was managed by the Domus Culta Laurentum, which was created by Pope Zachary (741 – 752 AD) to organize the agricultural, social and religious activities of the Estate.
The original nucleus of the Castle was built following the changes in general political conditions that came about between the 10th and 11th Centuries. It consisted of a tower built on a structure from the Roman Age, around which a group of buildings was progressively built within a fortified enclosure which, during the 14th Century, would be recognised and named as “Castrum”. In 17th Century maps (the Alexandrine Cadastre of 1660), the Castle is often portrayed as a quadrangular fortification with towers at the corners, a double gate, crowing elements and battlements. The Castle was amply renovated by the Grazioli family (1823 – 1872) who almost doubled its original perimeter.
The historical and archaeological museum
The historical and archaeological museum hosted in the Castle and hamlet displays a collection of over two-hundred objects from the archaeological digs carried out in the Castelporziano Estate from the second half of the 19th Century. The museum is articulated into several halls and displays a large number of objects in chronological order and divided according to the monument they belonged to.
The most historically and artistically relevant grave goods on display are from a tomb of the necropolis of Castel di Decima (700 BC) and a portion of a painted ceiling from the Roman period found in the area of the imperial villa that once stood in Tor Paterno.